Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Something New

Please excuse my absence as of late. A few weeks ago I got a job at a Clinique counter and ever since then I have been knee-deep in all things related to the brand. If you've read some of my older posts you'll know I just graduated with a B.Sc. in Molecular Biology and Genetics and was looking to take a break from lab work for my first post-grad job. Clinique seemed like the perfect opportunity; I was already familiar with their products (I used and adored most of them) and I loved the thought of being able to work with customers and sell skincare solutions I truly believed in. So you can imagine my excitement when I received a phone call a few hours after my second interview informing me I got the job! Ever since then it's been such an amazing learning experience in a truly positive environment as I've continued to figure out how to be the best darn Beauty Adviser I can be!

So with that little life update out of the way I'd like to make this post about what I've learned in my life since embarking on my not-so expected career change. I was watching Stephen and Chris the other day (yes, I am a 41-year-old house wife trapped in the body of a 22-year-old ha!) and they had this interior designer woman on the show who was talking about how decorating your house shouldn't be about duplicating a page out of a home magazine but should be about how you want your house to look and feel. She talked about how no one can tell you how to paint your walls or what to put on your side table but that you have to decide what colours make you happy and what kind of decor feels right to you. This made me feel liberated and got me thinking about how I want to decorate a future home to make it stylish yet comfortable and looking lived-in while still representing my style.

This sentiment isn't just reserved to interior decorating. After thinking about it more and reflecting on my ongoing experiences working for Clinique I realized that beauty and fashion and all things style should be unique to every woman and that every woman has the right to chose her's. Though the trends are still predicted and designers show us the "looks" each season more and more women are choosing to make a statement by wearing on their bodies and their faces the shapes and colours that make sense to them. I still believe the shows and fashion magazines and the media are all fantastic inspiration points but any look you choose to rock must be (and inevitably will be) made unique by you, the wearer.

Every woman deserves to look the way she chooses even if it goes against the grain. If it suits you and it feels right to you then it is right. On the flip side if you love all the plums showing up this fall on the runway and make a statement with a dark plummy smoky eye no one can accuse you of being some slave to the trends. Because if it feels right to you then it is right! Think about it and you will be empowered. I have a closet full of heels that I seldomly wear because Guelph isn't the sort of town you see girls walking down the street at 2pm in stilettos. Because of this it can be intimidating to be that girl in the high heels in a crowd full of UGGS. But now I am embracing that difference because I know it's me and it's what I want and who I want to be.

I could go on and on about this but I'm hoping in the last few paragraphs I've made my point. Style, whether it be in the home, on your body or in your lifestyle is a beautiful, unique, ultimately fun and to indulge in it is to be true and honest to yourself. I hope to continue to update this blog a little more frequently in the future although it most likely won't be every day. Expect to see a lot more Clinique on here and a lot more of me indulging in my idea of personal fashion.

Sarah xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment