Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Get Clean With Soap and Glory and St. Ives

I'm a big fan of drugstore beauty. First of all it's the beauty I grew up with. Most girls get their first black eyeliner and their first pink nail polish from drugstores, not high-end department stores. Secondly you can get some awesome deals on products that actually work! If you're a money savvy chick like me drugstore deals can mean Christmas comes more than once a year!

In yesterday's post about bronzing I mentioned that it's a good idea to exfoliate before applying a self-tanner so that you get even, streak-less coverage of the product your using. Here are two awesome drugstore beauty finds that help you shed those dull, dead skin cells to reveal the healthy new skin underneath:

1. Soap and Glory's Flake Away
This is a reeeaaal nice moisturizing body scrub from Soap and Glory. Key word: moisturizing. Some scrubs can leave you feeling smooth but dry but not this puppy! I love this brand's uber 50s kitchy-style packaging and product info! It's adorable!

The texture of this stuff is quite thick which I like because it allows you to concentrate and then spread out the product. If you exfoliate in the shower you know only too well the problem with sugar scrubs: they can dissolve before you've had a chance to do any real buffing! Luckily Flake Away combines sugar and sea salt which I find to be a pretty good combo. The salt does a way better job of standing up to water because it has stronger molecular bonds than sugar! That`s my science fun fact for the day! This jar is $10 for 300ml which is a wicked deal because it's going to last a while!

2. St. Ives Apricot Cleanser
I have been hearing the merits of St. Ives Apricot Scrubs for a while now but I never got around to trying one out myself. But now that I`ve been using this one for about two weeks I`m hooked! I like that I can use it daily and it leaves my skin clean, smooth and moisturized. Note: I have fairly oily skin so I can use it every day but if you have dry/sensitive skin consider picking up the regular scrub (ie not deep cleaning) or using it less often. It about a $6 product so I can say it's worth every penny! One more thing regarding this scrub: it does contain two natural exfoliants (corn meal and ground walnut shells). A cosmetician once told me not to use scrubs containing natural exfoliants because the particles often contain sharp edges that may scratch or damage your skin. I have no beef with corn meal as it's very finely ground but before trying this product I wouldn't have liked the thought of rubbing ground walnut shells on my face. However the ground walnut shells are very spherical and are more like the microbeads found in other scrubs.

How was your Tuesday? Did any of you make it into the drugstore/beauty counter for your makeup fix? What did you get?

Sarah xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment